How fast is sea level currently rising?
To answer this question for Travemünde, we compare the sea level trend of the last 100 years with all previous 100-year periods. Since the beginning of data availability (1856), there are 67 overlapping 100-year periods.
Please choose time period
- So far, the largest 100-year trend was in the period of 1872-1971, whereas the smallest trend was in the period of 1898-1997.
- The trend of the last 100 years is within this range of the past.
- The rate of sea level rise over the last 100 years at Travemünde is 1.7 mm/yr.
- This rate is high (above the median (1.6 mm/yr)) but within the normal range (1.4-1.7 mm/yr).
- Compared to the past, the current rate is not among the top five highest. Note: The normal range refers to the 5-95 percentile range.